A RETIRED electrician had died from asbestos related injuries, an inquest heard.
Wayne Shepherd, of Frederick Street, Darwen died at Royal Blackburn Hospital in January.
The inquest heard the 74-year-old was admitted on December 27 after suffering from acute exacerbation.
Joan, Mr Shepherd’s wife, said he used to cut up asbestos sheets during his years as a electrician.
Dr Prescott, a consultant pathologist at the hospital, said Mr Shepherd had been suffering with bronchopneumonia, a very serious infection in the lungs.
He said: “My medical cause of death is Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, caused by asbestos exposure as well as interstitial fibrosis and Bronchopneumonia.”
Michael Singleton, East Lancashire’s senior coroner, said: “The conclusion I reach is one of occupational disease.
“I offer my condolences to the family.
“I remember when asbestos was thought of as a miracle product.
“What are we doing today that in 20 or 30 years time we will look back on and wonder was someone looking at that.
“I offer my heartfelt sympathy.”